Volunteering with WAG
How to become a WAG volunteer:
1. Complete the Volunteer Application. You may also obtain a printed copy from the shelter.
2. Once you have filled it out, scan and email it to our volunteer coordinator or drop it off at the shelter.
3. Email our volunteer coordinator to introduce yourself and see if there are any orientation dates available.
4. Attend an introductory orientation session once it has been scheduled.
5. Fill out a volunteer agreement and waiver of liability.
6. Purchase a membership at the orientation…you have 2 options:
A) You may purchase a basic volunteer membership for $25 which gives you enrollment into any of our advanced training courses.
B) Or, if you wish, you may purchase a full WAG membership for $60 which covers the volunteer membership PLUS you get all of these amazing perks: WAG Membership.
7. Once scheduled, attend a training session for your selected position(s).
Thank you for your interest in our shelter volunteer program. Our volunteer program is designed to offer the best care and welfare for our animals. We appreciate your time and dedication to the homeless animals in Whistler. In order to offer the best experience for you and the animals, a regular commitment will be required for shelter positions. There are 5 shelter volunteer positions which are listed above. There will be additional training for these shifts and these positions will require a minimum commitment of 1 (2 hour) shift per week for 4 months. Not able to commit to a regular schedule but still want to help out? No problem…we have drop in volunteering from 1-4 PM daily (excluding statutory holidays), and a list of tasks that you can also help us with during the drop in hours. We also have other volunteer opportunities like fundraising events, transportation, foster homes, humane educators, or maybe you have a special skill. If you are unable to make it in for your shift please call the shelter to let us know in advance. Always check in with staff when you arrive; shelter animals have good days and bad days, so it’s always best to find out how things are going before you start. We are looking forward to working with you; we hope you enjoy this experience.